Many reputable colleges and universities allow you to earn credit for life experience. They do not, however, allow you to earn your entire degree through life experience.Â Only diploma mills makeÂ those kinds ofÂ promises!
How credit is awarded and assigned varies widely by university, but there is always a specific limit to the number of alternative credits you may earn toward your degree. Most of the colleges listed below offer a combination of portfolio credit, credit by examination (CLEP, etc.), and military experience/training credit.Â Â Â
- All portfolio credit programs are NOT created equal. Some colleges, like Columbia College, have stringent requirements. Central Texas College, on the other hand, simply asks for a page or two description of your experience with supplemental proof.
- Never assume that your credit will transfer to another university. Always double check with the admissions department where you plan to transfer.Â
- Certain programs like Champlain (below)Â do not always award portfolio credit, but they will accept portfolio credit awarded by another university that has been added to your transcript.
Online colleges offering credit for prior learning
EveryÂ institution in thisÂ list is regionally accredited, a must for any online degree program.
Dallas Baptist University
Credit by examination
University of Wisconsin
Credit for Military Experience
Credit for Training Programs
Credit for Specific Subject Examinations
Credit for Work and Life Experience
Credit by Test Out
Vocational-Technical College Transfer Credits
Credit for Prior Learning (Portfolio credit)
ACE accredited corporate courses
Certified Professional Secretary Program
Defense Language Proficiency Tests
Basic Law Enforcement and Corrections Training
Military Service & Training
MU Fire & Rescue Training Institute
University of Massachusetts – Amherst
Information is located on the University Without Walls portion of the Amherst website. Credit for life experience applicants must complete a rigorous process toÂ receive credit.
Will accept portfolio credits added to your transcript at another university.
â€œMayâ€ offer some life experience credits for certain programs
Military training and education
Central Texas College
Military training and education
Western New England College
May award up to 30 credit hours of portfolio credit through its partnership with Charter Oak State College. See WNECâ€™s website for more details as requirements vary.
Military education and experience
Experience evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE)
Portfolio assessment (Credit for life experience)
Western Governors University
WGU does not offer actual credit for life experience, but they will let you waive certain courses in order to finish your degree faster. Hereâ€™s an excerpt from their site to explain the process: WGU’s competency-based approach lets you take advantage of your knowledge and skills, regardless of how you learned them. Even when you don’t directly receive credit, the knowledge you possess may help you accelerate the time it takes to complete your degree program.
For more information about specific colleges offering online degrees, visit my Online College Review posts.
- Life experience and online learning
- Illustrative example of how online learning credits may be awarded
- CLEP exams save time and money
- Life experience degrees
Top Online College Degree Programs